Saturday, November 5, 2016

Best Camera to Buy and Where to Buy

Outside of learning the fundamentals of shooting, I think the most common question I get is "Which camera is best?". That question is relative. I mean the BEST camera probably cost more than a decently equipped luxury vehicle (Check out the Hasselblads!) So let's think about budget and your skill level. If you are just getting involved in photography, just get your feet wet. I'll always
luminous-landscape.com
recommend an entry level DSLR preferably a few models prior to the current version. Entry level DSLRs, even a few years old are still very capable cameras, more importantly you can find them used and very affordable. Get that with a kit lens (typically 18-55mm focal length or a 50mm). This is a great setup to start learning on. Shoot with this setup and see what you find yourself really needing. I'm willing to bet you will have a stronger desire for better lenses before you start looking for a new camera body. The main point is everyone who finds an interest in photography is that they may not always pursue it. So if it doesn't work out, the bank account isn't empty. Learn to use your equipment then learn what you really need.

The next big question is "Canon or Nikon?" Well those are the
smithsonianmag.com
biggest names in the photography world. If one was better than the other, you probably wouldn't even have to ask. They both have pros and cons. Plenty of professionals represent both sides. discussing which is best is almost like arguing Republican vs Democrat. It's best to not discuss the topic LOL. I prefer Canon for its ergonomics and easy to navigate menus. I shot with Nikon a few times, but we didn't "click". Canon and Nikon run the market, both offer great glass, a huge variety of focal lengths with varying prices. Also keep in mind, tons of third parties make lenses for them as well, such as Sigma, Tokina and Tamron. Third party lenses are usually 1/3rd cheaper than Canon or Nikon options. Some people bash third party lenses, but there are some amazing pieces out there, but you do have to do your homework, read reviews and try them out. Canon and Nikon have their fair share of bad glass too, so again, research!

Now that you are all amped to buy a camera, money burning a hole in your pocket, you know you need a camera NOW, but your money is hard earned and you want to get the MOST for your money. I understand this. I want to warn you as you scour the internet for the best deals, there are a lot of people and companies waiting for you, to take advantage of you, to steal your money or perhaps pull a "bait and switch" move on you. So when you buy, PLEASE buy from a reputable dealer. Some dealers maybe a bit pricier than another and that is normal. What is not normal, when you search the internet for a $1000 camera and a website has it for "sale" for $399. Too good to be true? Absolutely! I fell for this trap when I first fell in love with photography. I found a website that sounded cheesy something like "reallyreallycheapcameras.com". It was well built site, located in New York, must be legit, right? Wrong was I! I got an email a few days later about my order being on hold because of something, this is when they prompted to switch my lenses for some low end outdated cheaper lenses, then to find out I was going to have to buy the battery and charger separately, and not to mention it was gray market (warranty wouldn't be valid). After talking through all this, my bill had tripled far beyond any reputable dealer. I had try to cancel but they refused. I fought long and hard, contacted the BBB who saved my life. I got my money back, but still was camera-less.
eBay.com



Some people look all over eBay hoping to pick up that great deal. It will take one search to find a ton of stores selling "packaged kits" which are NOT worth it. They throw in tripods, filters, generic flashes, wide angle, lens adapters and knock off memory cards etc. The quality of these accessories are very cheap and over priced, not to mention, unnecessary. Please refer back to a legitimate dealer. The image to the right is a prime example of what not to buy.




I swear I'm not trying to scare you away from shopping!! Here in the US, We have two very awesome, very competitive businesses. Those are Adorama and B&H Photo. They also have great customer service and people who are very knowledgeable if you have questions. Of course there are other companies and even local shops that are wonderful, just be extremely careful out there with your hard earned cash.

So I know this post was all business, but I really want you all to be 100% satisfied with what ever you buy, I also do not want to see anyone get scammed as that was a bad experience for me.  So that being said, get a camera, take a picture and share it with the world! :) Or share it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment